Tuesday 17 November 2020

206. This is how it should be

Today I got some fresh air and (sun)light on my face as I walked with Dennis to post a letter. I actually plonked myself down in the bus shelter while he posted the letter as I didn’t trust myself to cross the busy (arterial) road quickly enough but it’s a start. This time last year, we picked up conkers. This year, I wouldn’t be able to scoop that far down!! What has gone wrong?

I suspect a significant factor has been the lockdowns. For almost 5 months, I was under instructions not to leave my home. But I didn’t try hard enough to maintain a reasonable amount of walking round the outside of the house, let alone exercise. Everything was just so painful. And now of course I’m paying the price, with swellings in places I didn’t know could swell. Gone are my skinny but shapely legs. Bring on the support stockings! Though not yet please. Maybe I can exercise away these unsightly lumps?

Quite how I managed the walk is in some ways a mystery unless you believe in the efficacy of EFT. At 11, I plonked myself in front of the ipad feeling exhausted, and zoomed into an EFT session. For once, we all had several factors in common, including long-term pain, fatigue and frustration, so each of the rounds of EFT we did was directly relevant to me. At 12, I came out feeling energised and a bit more optimistic. Just from a bit of tapping? I then did some of my physio exercises which I haven’t been able to face for a couple of days so, at last, I can fill in my online form with a few ticks. These progress charts have no room for excuses or reasons so my record looks shameful.

That just leaves my hand exercises - I was doing so well with my green squares and now the chart is marred by a beige one because I forgot to finish them and I’m too honest to cheat, even for the aesthetic effect.


Look how close I am to the end of the programme (top line). I’d like to say the time has flown by but it hasn’t. And then what? The pain level is as high as it was but my hands are definitely getting a bit stronger. Now when I grasp something, I just say ouch. Before, I dropped it!

I also have to do my breast/arm exercises which I keep forgetting to do. I think people who know me will recognise that this is all characteristic avoidance and aversion to the idea of physical exercise. This has to change if I’m not to age prematurely. However, I’ve already finished series 4 of The Crown. Unfortunately, this multitasker can no longer do more than one thing at a time. Netflix won. 

As regards The Crown, I wasn’t impressed. Too much of Thatcher and that annoying Princess of Wales, let alone reminders of what must be the most hideous period in women’s fashion. And I went along with it!! Verdict: a bit dull. Queen’s Gambit was more exciting and that’s about chess, which has always been beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment