Thursday 27 February 2020

164. No place for pride in this

Ok, now I am officially an Old Crock. I currently wear support socks for my ankles and heels (thank you Trina for such a thoughtful gift, among the others); support gloves (thank you Trina); and now compression support for each knee. I reckon I can do a fair impersonation of a small Michelin Man!

These are providing considerable relief from pain but doing nothing for my pride. Add to that an allergic reaction to the tops of the knee supports (red weals encircling each thigh), out of date anti-itch cream (2016) and out of date antihistamines (2019). I can safely say thank god for such painful hands because it means I can’t scratch!

I saw my GP about it all yesterday, having given up hope of a reply from the hospital and the doctor was very supportive and inspired confidence, a nice change from Dr N who simply said she had no experience of chemotherapy side effects (in other words, bugger off). He packed me off for blood tests which I had done today, without any problems. Do my veins simply rebel at St James’s? Does my body subconsciously hate the place and refuse to co-operate? Once he has those results, he’ll have a better idea of how to help me. I was so awe-struck by having a GP actually listen and suggest he understood that it didn’t register that I have to wait at least another week for any level of help with the pain (and the cracking joints now).

Wow, I’m typing merrily and my phone pings several times. Messages from Dr L - low vit D. Prescription been sent to pharmacy. More pills and with my luck, they’ll be the size of suppositories. Low B12 - need another test next week to confirm this. Low B12 can be a cause of my symptoms. Oh, if only it’s that simple. Please pease PLEASE let me have one simple thing, one thing go right...

NHS test results within 5 hours? Am I dreaming?


No comments:

Post a Comment