Thursday 1 October 2020

198. Hee-aad, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and what?

I have every good intention of updating this, then I think things are too miserable or too complicated or mañana. I’m good at mañana :)

Today was an Otley day, both of us booked in for our flu jabs, so I also booked my follow-up at Specsavers. The Medical Practice website said be prepared for a wait of up to 20 minutes. We were the only ones - straight in and out, though poor Dennis got caught on the hop and found himself having the pneumonia jab (which he’s always declined - he only did the flu for me when I was having chemo, he doesn’t believe in medical matters for himself). He now has two stiff shoulders. I told him to press hard to reduce bruising but...deaf ears.

                                 

It seems I have selected two pairs of blue glasses. I went for green, a kind of teal (possibly my favourite colour). I had little interest in trying on glasses on the last visit and just plumped for a smaller and a larger design. One is a distinct blue to me which, once my faulty eyelid is sorted out, should enhance my blue eyes before they fade completely; the other is a grey tortoiseshell but with subtle splashes of blue I hadn’t noticed. What’s happening to me? I’d have spent hours, if not several visits, selecting the most flattering. Now, all I care about is will they stay on and can I read better? The answers are yes and no. It turns out the blurred eyesight is my lazy eyelids, not a fault of my sight. 


I am making steady progress with the MySarah exercises. I’m into Session 3, which last two weeks. Hold the holds for longer and increase the repetitions from 5 to 10. That takes well-nigh an hour, after which I have to do my leg and heel exercises and I’m worn out. My hands still hurt but I have to admit that they take far less time to unlock, to achieve mobility and for the pain to go away. The exercises have to be worth it. I got a call giving me an appointment at Chapel Allerton Hospital Occupational Therapy, which was a bit of a surprise but I felt chuffed because it meant at least somebody was going to physically SEE me. Then I got a call the day before from the team leader who’d done my initial phone assessment and got me onto MySarah. She sounded quite indignant that I’d accepted a hospital appointment when she’d suggested a phone reassessment. Since it’s her team, she should know what’s going on. Result, no physical appointment, a phone assessment and another discharge. Ok, that’s hands sorted then. By phone.

I confess it was a relief - I‘d have had to leave here at 7.45 to get there on time. The phone assessment was somewhat half-hearted. She was thwarted by the fact that Dennis does all the housework and neither of us is bothered for proper cooking! I get the impression most OT is based on getting one to use the vacuum cleaner, manage a mop, chop vegetables and such-like. Don’t think I don’t fully appreciate that I am spoilt...but not quite a brat?

So that just leaves tomorrow’s oncology consultation. I need to get together my questions (including has the referral to physio been made because the OT says it’s still marked DRAFT - honest, this is the story of my health). And as soon as I wrote ‘that just leaves...’ my stomach lurched because I have a letter with a date and time for my mammogram which those of you who are familiar with me know is anathema to me. Close to my idea of hell. I am going to go back a year and read my blog to see if I can draw any comfort from the experience but I’m sceptical.

I have some great photos of the building site as the houses get roofs on. I’ll save them and just leave you with the view from my bed the other day. Should I wave?




No comments:

Post a Comment