Friday 19 March 2021

227. Ostrich working well

 A week has passed with not a lot going on, except the things I have instigated:

Second vaccine has been brought forward to next week (8 weeks) though I doubt it will make any difference at the rate the hospital moves.

Dental examination booked (far scarier than much else - I exaggerate not)

Breast care nurse following up the two scans. Apparently dear Dr U recorded the need in my notes but didnt action anything so I had to contact the BC team and they are chasing Dr U to authorise the scan he wanted done THIS week. On the bright side, it might mean he’s not certain it’s going to be a secondary cancer but I know that’s just wishful thinking on my part.

I’m in a good place mentally. I’m not fretting over something I can do nothing about and I’m not getting anxious about tests etc until I have to. I do spend a fair bit of time trying to ease Dennis’s anxiety, which is not easy. How awful it must have been to live over 50 years with a perpetually anxious wife. I guess he must have blanked it or I hid it very well when I could.


I sat out in the garden a couple of afternoons, in my parka but plenty of sun. Unfortunately, plenty of builders too and I could hear their (often misogynistic) conversations as they yelled across the beams of a new roof. So, we’ve decided to get a “summerhouse,” something that provides an element of protection from the wind which is still strong but also makes me feel I’m not being overlooked from all directions. It might also disguise the hideous mess of fencing. I was trying to describe it to a friend and the closest I got was a beginner at machine embroidery being given free rein to locate the fences! No luck in finding the perfect summerhouse so far but a trip to a place in Harewood will happen. Bramhope and Horsforth were flops.

So for Dennis at least, there is another painful weekend of waiting and all the tension and bleak thoughts that brings. For me, well I have a bit of a fatigue day today but hopefully I’ll be trying a bit harder tomorrow. I have my lovely Charlie Mackesy t-shirt for Comic Relief 2021. I think that’s as close to involvement as I need get. Oh, the joys of teaching on Red Nose Day! Oh the joys of retirement!

Love that the Boy is now a girl.
BTW, the primroses aren’t (sadly) from my garden - they were outside Maggie’s. Still beautiful :)


No comments:

Post a Comment