Saturday 14 August 2021

50 Years and we can celebrate

 Well, sort of. We’d decided not to celebrate our Golden Wedding until I can at least taste something properly but Dennis suggested afternoon tea, my friend Anne who coincidentally married at exactly the same time (but in Blackburn - we wouldn’t meet for another three years. She’s now widowed) suggested she come round and we can reminisce together. Unfortunately the weather is preventing the proposed set up round The Shed so we’ll have it in what is euphemistically known as the Sun Room. It’s the extension which does get awfully hot when the sun’s out and is quite dreary without it.

I’ve been searching for our wedding album everywhere but can’t find it; same with my falsie - I can find the first one I had but it doesn’t fit. I’ve grown a bit. But I’ve found a knitted knocker which will suffice. I haven’t worn a bra for months! Anyway, eventually I found a few pictures, including this one of all the first-wave guests (second-wave joined us for the reception of 150!! I come from two very big families).










It was a wonderful day, one of the few where I didn’t mind being the centre of attention. Den wasn’t quite so happy about it but he did as he was asked, cut the cake and made a toast to the bridesmaids (thank you for the pressie, Sheila). Here we are, posing for the photographer, something Den would never do again. I don’t have a single photograph of us together since 1971. I think all his energy was expended at the wedding!

Anyway, back to the important stuff. I went to the oncology clinic yesterday and my blood markers have gone down from 128 > 86 > 27. Dr U said it was “an unexpected but remarkable effect”. I wasn’t too happy with the ‘unexpected’ but the ‘remarkable’ is great news. Unfortunately, it does mean I stay on capecitabine indefinitely so I have to hope  1. It keeps working (at any time, it will stop and we’ll have to find other treatment) 2. I get more used to it so I get the physical strength and mental agility I need for driving ie. normal life. 27 is actually lower than the average adult as, it seems, we all carry these marker, excreted from various types of cell, not just cancer.

Well, afternoon tea has just arrived and I wanted to use our wedding present plates (which we still use every day) so it’s not glamorous. But there is plenty of it!


So, Happy Anniversary Den and sorry we can’t celebrate in style. One day… Here’s to many more years, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment