Wednesday 6 March 2019

55. Different every time

I’m beginning to regain my independence, certainly for now. If I can manage to avoid the dreaded numbness, the next two months till the end of chemotherapy look much more manageable. Yesterday I drove up to Refresca with Dennis and ate a bacon wrap (no bagels and I didn’t want to try bread again. I just craved some bacon!). I managed to eat it all though I can’t say what I was tasting - I definitely smelt the bacon. Bliss.

Then I actually cooked a proper meal - enough for four portions of one of my childhood comfort meals. There’s a sense of disbelief among the friends I’ve told - me, cooking?? It’s only like a chicken stew but with quite a lot of rice and everything cooked down to mush but it tastes fine and must have plenty of much-needed calories. Yesterday I could really only taste the broccoli but today I definitely tasted the chicken. Strange when the cold chicken I relied on just tastes of soap. I meant to add kale to it tonight - Maureen brought me some to book group - but I only got as far as washing it. I’ll cook it tomorrow for a bit more nutrition. Still two batches of stew in the fridge.

Book group was interesting. People are right - I do feel better when I’ve got people around me and a focus - but it’s still exhausting and by the time I got home, I was ready to flop! I wore Georgia’s pink wig as a dare (probably the first dare I’ve ever taken up - so you’re never too old). It was easily disguised by my grey beanie to avoid the public gaze - I’m not that daft - and it didn’t last long as it’s a bit itchy but it provided some entertainment. I also managed to drive myself, which I hadn’t expected to do so I was quite chuffed.

To top it all, the gift of fresh home-grown kale (which I’ve never tried but know is nutritious) and a tub of snowdrops from Joyce, ready for next spring - and this morning, the arrival of two pairs of cashmere bed socks from my dearest friend Trina to replace my miniature ones! How thoughtful is that!


Almost too beautifully packaged to open, let alone wear!

I also bought a new digital thermometer on the way home so I can send the faulty one back to Lloyds. I hope it’s a one-off fault rather than a faulty batch - the thought of other people, particularly children, at risk of an ‘ignored’ fever is quite alarming. But that’s for Lloyds to sort out now. I think I’ve enough on my plate for the time being. Just one problem - the faulty one is giving higher readings now, like it knows it’s got competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment