Wednesday 28 August 2019

122. Back in the driver’s seat

For decades, I’ve been one of those laid-back, competent drivers, confident they’re doing a slightly-better-than-many job of getting from A to B to C without mishap. It’s a humbling experience to discover all the lazy habits I’ve picked up on the way, have them corrected and find that some major errors would have failed me the test I passed on first attempt - in 1972!! Maybe everyone should have a compulsory refresher session now and then?

Don’t get me wrong. The 2 hours I spent with Automatic Annie in her car were invaluable and, at the end, she told me I was an advanced driver - and she had pointed out all along the things I did well and praised particular manoeuvres. I was left with only a short list of things to correct (obviously the 10 to 2 hold, but also using the centre of the lane when I thought I was being considerate by driving closer to the kerb to allow prats to overtake if they must but she pointed out that I made it easier for people to overtake in what might not be safe circumstances).

So why did I come home shattered? I ended up with my/her wheels ON a roundabout! Another first for me - probably for almost everyone! She’d already pointed out that I hug the roundabout and should not. I should use the full lane. I do this with good reason. Leeds is not blessed with many well-designed roundabouts and some are veritable death traps. They’re being improved slowly, like lights added to what I call ‘Carol’s roundabout’ at Horsforth and a reduction from 4 to 3 lanes on the Lawnswood roundabout, but I’ve witnessed too much terrible driving to feel zero confidence in other drivers, particularly those to my left. So it was simple for me - keep as safely to the right of the lane just in case. Bad driving! We went round and round, covering the same roundabouts till she was happy. I’ve driven my own car each day since and I go out of my way to practise my roundabouts but the fact remains that some of them just don’t lend themselves to staying in the centre of the lane. The lanes are too small and cars on the inner side encroach. I will persist.



So how did I end up ON a roundabout. Please don’t picture me perched on top - it was merely one and a bit tyres on the driver’s side but it was humiliating. Basically, I went to pull out to turn right, a black sports car zoomed out from a parked position (no signal) but I judged I could complete the manoeuvre and it was better than stopping sticking out into a busy road. Unfortunately Annie read it differently. She slammed on the instructor’s brake and pushed the wheel to the right in a second. Instantaneous flashback to accident but I steered to the right. Stuck on the roundabout. It’s a very strange feeling when someone else takes control and the car isn’t doing what you expect it to do. We discussed it afterwards and both understood the other’s perspective (she assumed I hadn’t seen Mr Penis) but it left me shaken so we went round that same route three more times! Then I got in the car as soon as I got home and went back and did it again. I’ll get mighty bored with that route!

I am now a less confident driver - not because of the lesson but because of causing that accident in April - and need to get back to being sure I’m driving well enough that I don’t have to obsess about where I’m positioned. I’m proud to say I’m mastering the new art of NOT looking back once I start a manoeuvre and I’m dutifully following the last car with my eyes so my manoeuvre is smooth. Thank you Annie.

It doesn’t help of course that I’m driving an unfamiliar car and, on first drive, I couldn’t see the dials. I’d dutifully adjusted all mirrors but not the height of the seat and I’m a bit reluctant to adjust the wheel position. To me, a steering wheel should be stuck fast, not adjustable! But nor should it be in my chest so maybe I’d better find out how to get it all best-positioned. It was like my very first driving lesson when Mr Godfrey (my parents’ friends, Audrey and...???) took me out to a nearby practice site, an old airfield, and only realised when we got home that I’d been looking between the spokes of the steering wheel because I was so low down! Long legs mean short body.

Meantime, no more Amber Cabs unless I choose to and I can drive to The Orchard this afternoon without the worry of being stranded without a cab, having been let down twice consecutively and having made a formal complaint! I’m definitely returning to the old Jan lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment