Sunday 26 January 2020

156. Making a splash

First cause for delight: my vision is much-improved and, more important, the dazzling corona I saw round every street lamp, every headlight and side-light, has GONE. I can see clearly to drive in twilight and darkness for the first time in three years.

I knew as soon as the second cataract operation was done that something was not right. Kiera drove me home and I was half-blinded by the lights. Every street lamp was a dozen times bigger. It was all too much. It did improve but I had to buy those yellow night-driving glasses to cope. One simple procedure for something else and, by chance, this is sorted.

Today I went to Cookridge Hall for a ‘swim.’ First it took quite an effort to get into my swimsuit - bought when I was under 8 stone. A stone heavier, it was a very tight squeeze! I had two worries. One, that my arm would be weak and I wouldn’t be able to do breast-stroke (the only stroke I can do, so what you might call essential). The second, that my aqua knocker (filled with the stuff they make plastic scourers from) might dislodge and begin to slip so it was visible - or worse, swim off in a different direction. Neither happened. I could do my perfect old-lady breast-stroke with complete confidence.

What I hadn't allowed for was the anastrozole pain. In my back, where I’d never noticed it. I managed in total two partial lengths of the pool! Fair enough, it was two more than I intended. I really went for the sauna (5 minutes) and the steam room (another 5 minutes), topped off by 10 minutes in the spa. All aches and pains completely eased away, albeit briefly. I have to go regularly. Maybe I’ll manage a full length without stopping because my spine aches.

I experienced complete outrage when I got to the bar. Bloody Starbucks has taken over. No decaf tea. No teapots. No cups and saucers. No milk jugs. No teaspoons. It’s a long time since I’ve been in a Starbucks but indignation didn’t cover my reaction. No decaf tea??? And no two cups out of one teapot!! OK, I’m not a great fan of change but...but... but what? Hell, does it really matter? No, but I had a little sulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment