Friday 29 May 2020

183. Jan versus a creature...

This surely warrants its own post.

Last night, about 1.30, I was woken by a rustling sound. I turned on the light and tried to locate where it was coming from. I have a large letter rack on my bedside table, jam-packed with paperwork, amongst an awful lot of rubbish, all of which makes sense to me.

Then this appeared. I clambered out of bed, considering my creaking joints, and watched. It halted at the top of the sheet of paper so, having no idea what to do and not wanting to wake D, I took a photo:


Compare it to the phone and you’ll get a sense of its size. I have never seen anything like it and hope never to again. I grabbed my empty glass and a postcard but stupidly didn’t opt for the inevitable ‘drop’ of a spider. So it dropped and vanished.

I think it took me about an hour to get to sleep again, as close to Dennis’s side as I could get, with the duvet tucked in and the light on. I Googled today and it’s a myth they crawl over you in your sleep as they don’t like human warmth. Nor do they like citrus so bits of the bedroom are now coated with essential oil of lemon. Apparently it’s a Tegenaria Domestica or Giant House Spider and its season is September. This doesn’t augur well for my summer unless everything is lemon-scented!

No comments:

Post a Comment