Thursday 19 March 2020

168. “Unclean...Unclean...”

Today was my third injection, up at the surgery. I arrived at the same time as another woman who turned out to be a staff member. They unlocked the door for her.
“Why are you here? We’re not seeing patients.” Not a smile.
“I have an appointment with the nurse,”
“Oh. Wait there then. She’ll fetch you when she’s ready.”
“Shall I go and sit in the car?”
“No, just wait there.” She locked the door on me.

So I stood in a cold foyer, no seat, aching knees, sore feet. I tried resting my butt on a window ledge. It triggered an alarm. So I thought I’d better keep moving or I’d seize up. Every time I moved, the automatic door opened and a blast of cold air hit me. I was the only patient on the premises. You’d think they could have provided a chair I would happily have wiped down when I was called for.

However, I now understand why it’s so hard to park there. There were only about 5 vacant spaces so the rest must be taken up by staff!! That’s probably 3/4 of the parking. Huh!

It was better in the pharmacy though most people tried to maintain the 1m distance. However, the shelves are half empty. Paracetamol is only available on prescriptions. I deliberately looked for stuff I know is being panic-bought. No tissues. No paracetamol (plenty of Lemsip, which is just as effective as it’s 500mg paracetamol!). No thermometers. 1 cotton wool. No Calpol. I just hope all those hoarders end up with many pounds worth of unused and unusable products as they find it just wasn’t needed. Meantime, there was an elderly woman trying to get paracetamol for her husband who’s just had knee surgery - she has to contact the doctor for a prescription. Good luck with that one!!

I got a reply last night from Sainsbury’s about the lack of delivery slots. Bear in mind, I contacted them as advised via INSTANT messaging on Monday. I don't call two days ‘instant.’ Yes it makes sense to give priority to the over 70s and those with health conditions and they will contact their customers accordingly. Hold on. Dennis is 72 and I have a health condition - but how can Sainsbury’s KNOW? It remains a mystery that will unfold in time...

I have been allowed to suspend my gym membership without the £10 a month fee, for the next 3-6 months. After that? Do I get the sack? I’ve been a member since before it opened - there’s loyalty for you - and I suspect they may have to close in the near future as there’s no way they can make money except by recruiting members. Short of letting one in at a time to use the gym, I cant see how they’ll work it out! Oh what I wouldn’t give for a steam and a sauna right now to soothe my muscles, breeding grounds for every bug going and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment