Friday 11 January 2019

22. A change in direction?

The tide may be changing. Four appointments at St James’s in two days and I came away short on blood but smiling. Good news at last. It makes such a difference.

1. My bone scan results were completely clear. I’d been kidding myself it was to establish a baseline for the new, additional treatment which I have to start Monday. Turned out it was to check no cancer had spread to the bones (apparently a popular destination for rogue breast cancer cells). So I fooled myself but didn’t fool my husband. I still think Denial is better for me though.

2. The concern over the enlarged lymph nodes in my remaining breast muscle was ultra-caution and I have been told I am officially cancer-free. Can’t improve on that. Unfortunately, to ensure I stay that way, I still have to have all the treatments.

3. A comprehensive let’s-prevent-constipation treatment has been added - apparently the culprit is the initial anti-nausea tablet given at the start of each chemotherapy session (and I’m not giving that up!!).

4. Wig shopping is hilarious and appalling at the same time. I looked completely haggard and every bit of 67, whereas till recently I looked younger than my biological age. I’m seriously thin and drawn and actually look like I’m ill, even though right now I don’t feel it.

There wasn’t a great range to choose from and I had to try styles regardless of colour. Fortunately, the second one I tried was ideal though I was sorely tempted by one with highlights and lowlights. What deterred me was the fact that eventually I’d have to go back to white or return to spending a fortune at the hairdresser’s. Emma, my goddaughter, independently chose the same wig so I reckon I chose well. I certainly needed to get the wig today rather than order something as I’m shedding hair like Bonnie, our long-haired white cat (now gone) who would leave a trail wherever she went. Time to change to pale sweaters for a few days!

I’ll work out how to add the photos another day. They are seriously unflattering so I’m in no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment