Monday 28 January 2019

33. Crowning glory?

Winter is probably the best time for going bald. No one gives you a second glance when you’re sporting a beanie or a woolly hat. Today I ventured out in my lovely grey cashmere beanie, leaving the wig behind.

There’s not much hair left but enough for now:



Once I got to the gym (restaurant only of course), I didn’t hesitate to take off my hat and I don’t think anyone was traumatised! I certainly didn’t give it a second thought but will I feel the same in a couple of weeks when there’s not even a stubble left?

Maybe I need to practise wearing the wig so I don’t feel so uncomfortable. I can’t imagine wearing it through two hours of chemotherapy, especially a zolendrate day, but if you can’t go au naturel in the oncology suite, where can you? Oddly, I haven’t seen a single bald person in Onclogy yet. Very few seem to be bothering with the cold cap so either I’m very unobservant (definitely, I’m Lorazepamed) or the wigs are very convincing.

This feels very stilted and uninteresting. I suspect it’s because I want to have a good old moan about my mouth, stripped bare of all its protective layers, which is driving me mad.


No comments:

Post a Comment