Monday 13 May 2019

88. Moving on

Today I got my tats. And very disappointing they are. Three tiny dots strategically placed around my noob to guide the radioactive beams precisely. It better be precise - I’ve already been warned of the risks (like the oncologist was talking about items on a menu): Might, actually probably will, hit part of the lung but that’s nothing to worry about (this to a woman bent double coughing) and, if I have a chest X-ray in future, tell them there will be a shadow... Might hit a tiny part of the heart. They use a strong shield but it does still happen and, if it does, it multiplies the risk of angina in older women. OK. Will cause burning, even through to the back, so expect soreness front and back. Otherwise it’s just fatigue. Well, I’ve got that in spades so might not even notice.

The ‘basement’ of the Bexley Wing is rather different from Oncology on Level 1: spacious, light, comfy chairs, chandeliers, quiet gardens outside, calm with little hustle and bustle. Since I have to be there five days a week for three weeks, it could be nice and relaxing - apart from the fact that I am likely to be a zombie. My first appointment is 8am!! The others are 8.45. Rush hour travel grrr.

The CT scan was uncomfortable because I’m so bony (see remarkably pointy elbow below but remember what I’ve been through!) but we managed to get my arm elevated properly and I managed to keep still. There was a little throat clearing but not a coughing fit as I feared so I should be able to manage the short treatments easily. The coughing fit came later, when my voice disappeared too.

Stage 1 home physio....(noisy)
 Stage 2 home physio (blissful)


My ribs are now exceedingly sore. I’m not taking the anti-inflammatories in case they were linked to the spasm on Saturday - certainly the leaflet lists several breathing difficulties as common. Apart from that, my ego hurts. A young woman sat in an easy chair next to us and was chatting. She referred to Kiera as my daughter. Well, the Methley Park nurse referred to Marilyn as my daughter so that’s quite a family I had between the ages of 2 and 6! It’s the white hair. At least, I bloody hope so!! Thursday I have an appointment with the breast/oncology physio to help improve my breast muscle, ready for therapy to begin. I guess it won’t involve frozen peas. I’m predicting it will be pretty painful but it’s essential to stretch all these muscles so I can get through the radiotherapy without anxiety.

So, moving on... I no longer have T as my oncology liaison nurse, though she contacted me Thursday and arranged the physio as well as recommending the DIY in the pictures. Apparently I’m back with C, the Macmillan breast care nurse who showed me round and wooed me to St James’s. At least there’s someone. There is so much that’s not been covered regarding actual breast care and I feel a bit in limbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment