Wednesday 29 May 2019

93. Sizzling...

Unfortunately it’s not a heatwave - I’m all cosied up in thick cardigan and slippers. I’m referring to my noob which has received it’s first dose of radiation. It went fine, more or less what I expected except for the little octopuses and other weird creatures decorating the machine. Then I thought about the kids who need radiotherapy and they suddenly seemed cute. I even managed to be awake at 6.15 - the sun was beautiful then.

They’ve been very accommodating and changed several of my appointments so Lisa can drive me there without it getting in the way of the school run. I think once or twice it does require her to ask someone to pick Georgia up from school but they seem fine with that and, if we overrun, I can always get a cab home.

So far, so good. Side effects accumulate so it’s early days. Co-codamol is pretty useless as a painkiller so I just have to stretch that sternum and stay immobile for about 5 minutes and hang the pain. It should be manageable, even for a fidget like me. To be frank, I’m glad I had a full mastectomy. The idea of my breast being zapped like that and the leaflet warnings about how it might affect the nipple have had me cringing so treating a scar seems a better option for me. I wore Mum’s ring for good luck. She had radiotherapy years ago and said it was ‘nothing’ so I just fiddled with it and thought about my mum and found it rather soothing. If you’re up there, Mum, I’m sure you’re proud of me! Yes I know I need to put on some weight and yes, I can see my hands are scrawny but I’m trying my best, I’ve got a whole pizza here!


The next 14 working days are thus mapped out and I officially ‘ring the bell’ on 18 June, a bit later than I hoped as it goes over my birthday when originally I anticipated celebrating Christmas 2018. As for ringing the bell, there actually is a shiny beribboned brass bell opposite the reception desk. It’s just not for me. I’m not a bell-ringing celebrator! Plus I know I’ll still have side effects like the neuropathy and I’ll have to adapt to hormone treatment which I’m not looking forward to (me n side effects again).

However, knowing Lisa, she’ll bamboozle me into it or do it on my behalf! Actually my appointment sheet says 18 June 10.30am Nurse Led Procedures. Hmmm...

So here’s me with radiation and Lisa’s son Ryan next-door who had one of those isotope CT scans yesterday. Hey, if we pointed our fingers at each other, we might find superpowers!


No comments:

Post a Comment