Friday 14 June 2019

99a. Nearly there

Two to go and still (TOUCH WOOD) no problems apart from difficulties caused by my accident. So here’s the waiting room:

I can’t show the rest of the area (this is just for machines 9-12) because it would impinge on other people’s privacy but it’s very spacious with comfy chairs and nobody talks to anyone else; very British lol. These are actually machine embroideries, mixed media work with collage. Rather lovely with a touch of Japanese artwork in them. Oddly, most of the chairs face away from them!

Then we go down the corridor into a changing room, strip the top off and put on a hospital gown and tootle off to the radiotherapy room. The corridor includes a few turns and you get diverted by this lovely picture, I imagine a touch of psychology here:
Actually the corridor is light but the picture is illuminated and I didn’t have time to faff with the camera. Pretty though. Then you’re in the vast room:
Treatment Room 9 is actually used for the children’s clinic as I said before, hence the artwork to the left - not quite up to the standard of the corridor, The radiographer shot out of range, leaving her hi-tech equipment behind. Yes, they still actually use a simple ruler for their measurements lol. Here’s a close-up of the machine though:
To the right are all my precise measurements on screen and they check every one of them, to get the accurate height of the bed, the right angle etc. Good job too or I’d have lung and heart damage. As it is, I’ve been told I’ll have a higher risk of angina now. Great! The bits above the machine rotate and send the rays across and in my noob and collarbone. The oncologist told me to expect soreness on my back as the radiation goes through me!! I just dont think about it. What’s the point? The shiny blue knee rest is a boon - so comfortable that you forget about the vertebrae digging in the hard bed. The white bit is literally a sheet of paper, to keep it a bit warmer!! Like I said, hi-tech!

So that’s the radiotherapy room for you. Bet you were fascinated! I wanted it recorded for my own benefit as I feel very positive about this experience, even though I have no idea what nasty things it has done to my body. Still awaiting the effects; plenty of time yet, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment