Monday 1 April 2019

69. It’s getting to me...

Quick update. Boring and not recommended reading - just a bit of therapy for me so I’d suggest you don’t waste time reading my moans. Serious recommendation!

Shit weekend. I couldn’t get the strength to turn the button on the boiler to increase the water pressure (temporary solution till I can do without heating and we can get our plumber to investigate more fully) so I asked D to do it. It’s so simple: turn the big white key to your right then twist the button to your left till there’s a good surge of water and the pressure gauge goes up to 2. Then stop it. “Is that clockwise or anticlockwise?” “To your right.” “So it’s clockwise.” Actually it’s not so I grind my teeth and leave him to work it out. Two minutes later, he’s let in so much water, the pressure gauge has gone to max and shut itself off. Why didn’t he just turn it back as I said when it got to 2? I’ve never been able to fathom why he’s so unmanned by anything remotely ‘technical.’

So, no boiler, no heating. I google frantically, I ring Worcester Bosch rather than disturb Stuart on Mothering Sunday. Nothing they suggest works. I try bleeding the radiators but I don’t have much strength. I end up draining the radiator in the bedroom, flopped on the floor, but that doesn’t work. We have one heater for the whole house. Guess who kept that!

Meantime, I’m salivating so much I reckon I produce as much fluid as the radiator I bled. I spend most of the day spitting into cups. I can barely eat, my ulcer is so painful and I am LOW. I have a pressure sore on my coccyx cos I’ve lost all my padding so I can’t sit, flop or lie without pain. No change today, though I mustered the strength to get in the car and drive to Cookridge Hall, chiefly to see the tai chi crowd but also to get warm. Bramhope is gridlocked (the drainage work for the new estate in ‘our’ field started today and they are using temporary lights). But I escaped eventually, only to find the road to Cookridge closed because of an accident and traffic’s being diverted into Bramhope even though one of the exit roads is closed and the other is just queuing cars. Is it surprising I lost my temper with D? Actually yes. I’ve never had a really hysterical rant in my life (as far as I recall) but I did. Brief and upsetting. I exploded because, once again, he expressed concern about the cat dying. FFS. The cat is off his food for a day and twitches a bit and that’s it - he’s dying. He’s obsessed with death and I know where the root of that lies. It’s really hard to handle and so undermining for me. If he asks me once more how much longer this is going to go on for (this being debilitating side effects) I think I’ll lose it completely. He just doesn’t get that I have no more idea than he does!

This is hard on us both and he’s been brilliant looking after me. BUT...

No comments:

Post a Comment