Tuesday 26 February 2019

51. From the sublime to ridiculous

What a wonderful day - till about 4pm when I began to sag a bit. Almost exactly 24 hours after the steroid infusion. Oh well. I got in a lovely short walk, most spent sitting on the stone wall on Leeds Road, chatting with Dennis. Then lovely, almost tasty pizza and stewed apple I could taste (wish I could have found some cloves); then reading in the garden.

How can this not lift your spirits? Ok, a bit of tidying up is needed but we’ve had other things to occupy us recently.


It was balmy, with a gentle breeze so I went bare-headed, the breeze wafting through my locks (well, caressing my scalp) till Kiera reminded me of the risk of sunburn. Sometimes you forget about the practicalities so back to the beanie. See my tiny buzzcut? I’m very fond of it but I’ve felt my first bald spot, above my right ear. I’ll be sad to see it go. I don’t think I have the confidence to just wear bald (except in the hospital where I don’t care and you can spot the wigs a mile off - why does T let them choose such unflattering wigs?) But it’ll have to be the uncomfortable wig when I go out.


I felt normal and good. Then as evening progressed, along came the price I pay for steroids: bend-over-double stomach ache and not even lansoprazole has touched it. I suspect the 3 days of oral steroids gently eased me away from this on the former chemotherapy regime because, although I was on double dose of lansoprazole for 7 days, I didn’t get much discomfort. This is just ridiculous, I can’t take my other meds. Ah well, only 8 more weeks... Sorry to moan.

No comments:

Post a Comment